Apple today seeded the release candidate versions of upcoming iOS 16.3 and iPadOS 16.3 updates to developers for testing purposes, with the new software coming a week after the second betas.
Registered developers can download the iOS 16.3 and iPadOS 16.3 profiles from the Apple Developer Center, and once installed, the betas will be available over the air.
iOS 16.3 and iPadOS 16.3 add support for physical Security Keys that can be used as added protection for an Apple ID. Any FIDO Certified physical security key can be linked to an Apple ID to be used for authentication when logging into a new device or otherwise accessing an Apple ID.
Security Keys replace the digital verification codes sent to an Apple device when using an Apple ID, and Apple says that the physical key provides strong protection against phishing and unauthorized account access. Note that two physical security keys are required when using this feature as there needs to be a backup in case one is lost. Losing a security key would revoke access to an Apple ID, as Apple cannot override the protection.
In addition to Security Keys, the beta also adds more instruction for transferring music from an iPhone over to a HomePod using handoff. Apple’s full notes for the update are below:This update includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:
– New Unity wallpaper honors Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month
– Security Keys for Apple ID allow users to strengthen the security of their account by requiring a physical security key as part of the two factor authentication sign in process on new devices
– Support for HomePod (2nd generation)
– Emergency SOS calls now require holding the side button with the up or down volume button and then releasing in order to prevent inadvertent emergency calls
– Fixes an issue in Freeform where some drawing strokes created with Apple Pencil or your finger may not appear on shared boards
– Addresses an issue where the wallpaper may appear black on the Lock Screen
– Fixes an issue where horizontal lines may temporarily appear while waking up iPhone 14 Pro Max
– Fixes an issue where the Home Lock Screen widget does not accurately display Home app status
– Addresses an issue where Siri may not respond properly to music requests
– Resolves issues where Siri requests in CarPlay may not be understood correctly
This article, “Apple Seeds Release Candidate Versions of iOS 16.3 and iPadOS 16.3 to Developers” first appeared on MacRumors.com
Discuss this article in our forums